Makes 4 patties
Preparation time 25 minutes
Chilling time 30 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
200 g can pink salmon, drained
400 g can butter beans, drained
¹⁄³ cup mashed butternut pumpkin
2 spring onions, chopped
2 teaspoons rice bran
½ teaspoon gluten-free curry powder
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
2 teaspoons canola oil
80 g wild rocket
Butter Bean Salad
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red capsicum, chopped
½ small red onion, diced
1 small avocado, diced
- In a medium bowl, mash the salmon and ½ cup butter beans with a fork. (Reserve the remaining beans for the salad.)
- Mix in the pumpkin, spring onions, bran and curry powder. Divide the mix into 4 portions and shape each into a pattie about 8–9 cm across. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Dust the patties with brown rice flour. In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil, add the patties and cook on a medium heat for 1 minute each side or until just golden brown. Place the patties on the baking tray and cook in the oven for 20–25 minutes or until firm.
- To make the Butter Bean Salad, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and oil. Combine the capsicum, onion, avocado and reserved butter beans in a small bowl. Toss with half of the balsamic dressing.
- Place the rocket in a bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Divide the rocket equally among four serving plates, top each with a salmon pattie and a large spoonful of butter bean salad.
Note: To make the amount of mashed pumpkin you need for this recipe, boil, steam or microwave 100 grams peeled butternut pumpkin. Drain off any excess liquid and mash with a fork.
(Source: The Low GI Diet for Gluten-Free Cooking – Marsh, Brand Miller & Sandall; Hachette Australia 2010)