35 g (11/4 oz/ 1/2 cup) All-Bran® cereal
125 ml (4 fl oz/ 1/2 cup) low fat milk
60 g (2 oz/ 1/2 cup) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
75 g (21/2 oz/ 1/2 cup) unprocessed oat bran
150 g (51/4 oz/1 cup) blueberries
150 g (51/4 oz/11/4 cups) raspberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons pure floral honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a 12-hole standard muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the bran cereal in a bowl, pour over the milk and soak for 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the oat bran, then fold in the blueberries and raspberries.
- Combine the egg, honey and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add the egg mixture and bran cereal mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon until just combined; do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin holes and bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
(Source: The Low GI Diet Cookbook – Brand Miller, Foster-Powell, McMilla-Price; Hachette Australia 2005)